Hearty chickpea curry
Updated: Feb 1, 2019
More heart than a lion's roar. Guaranteed to keep you warm on a cold rainy night at Stoke...
Food Engineer: Shyaamal Solanki
*Feeds two. Serve with rice or pitta. Cooks in 25/30 mins.*
· 1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
· 1 tin of coconut milk.
· 1 tin of chickpeas.
· Handful of kale or spinach.
· 1 onion.
· 2-3 gloves of garlic.
· Two tablespoons of tomato paste.
· 2 thumbs of ginger.
· 2 green chilies.
· Tablespoon of: cumin, garam masala, coriander powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
· Lime pickle (optional).
1) Fry diced onion, ginger, chillies in oiled pan.
2) When onions softens, add chopped garlic. Leave ingredients to sweat it out.
3) Stir in tomato puree and spices to form a paste.
4) Add tin of chopped tomatoes and tin of coconut milk. Stir well and allow to simmer for few minutes.
5) Add tin of drained chickpeas.
6) Lower heat, simmer and stir for 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (salt bae technique only).
7) Add handful of kale or spinach, squeeze of lemon, sprinkle of sugar.
8) Serve and tuck in!
Top tip: Don't completely drain the chickpeas, use a bit of the chickpea water to add volume to the curry.
Level-it up with a lime pickle and coriander garnish, if you're feeling fancy.