We've leaked a closely-kept family recipe for your enjoyment.
Just like mama used to do it.
Food engineer: James Fotherby.
*Feeds 2. Serve with spaghetti. Serve in oddly shaped bowl in just 35 mins*
· 1 tin of chopped tomatoes.
· Frozen soya mince (I used Asda own brand for this).
· 1/2 a white onion.
· 3 cloves of garlic.
· 1 box of tomato passata.
· 100ml of veggie stock.
· 1/2 a bell pepper.
· 1 carrot.
· 1 tsp of purée.
· 2 tsps of brown sugar.
· 2 tsps of vinegar.
· Fresh herbs of your choosing (thyme, basil, rosemary).
· Plant-based cheese (optional). Violife is pretty good.
1) Heat a high-sided saucepan on low, with a glug of oil and 1/2 a roughly chopped white onion.
2) When onions have softened, add finely diced garlic.
3) Add 1 can of tinned tomatoes, 1/2 a box (roughly 250g) of tomato passata, and 100ml of veggie stock. Stir well.
4) Allow mixture to simmer for 5-10 mins.
5) Add to the saucepan 1/2 a diced bell pepper and 1 grated carrot (a trick from mama).
6) Turn that soyanese into a piece of fine art with 1 tsp of purée, 2tsps of vinegar and 2tsps of brown sugar.
7) Add frozen soya mince and cook for 10 mins.
8) Season with salt, pepper and garnish with fresh herbs atop a bed of spaghetti for your hordes of instagram followers.
Top-tip: Chuck in other veggies at step 2 for more flavour and textures. Whole button mushrooms, slices of broccoli, or chunks of aubergine.
Level-it up with some grated plant-based cheese, a glass of chilled white wine and an Italian sports-car.