Peanutter Pineapple Curry
Updated: Oct 17, 2019
Fruity AND nutty, full of plant protein AND 4 of your 5 a day. What’s not to love?
Food Engineer: Lauren Wainwright.
*Serves 3-4. Cook time 25 mins. Cost per portion £3*
· 1 tsp of oil (coconut or vegetable, whatever floats your boat).
· 1 white onion.
· 1 clove of garlic.
· 1 can of chickpeas.
· 1 cauliflower.
· 1 tin of coconut milk.
· 2 tbsp of peanut butter.
· 2-3 handfuls of pineapple.
· 2 tbsp of fresh ginger (alternatively use 2 tsp of ground ginger).
· 1/2 tsp of turmeric.
· 1 tsp of curry powder.
· 1 stick of lemongrass (optional)
1) Drizzle oil in a high-sided pan on medium-heat. Fry finely chopped onion and garlic until soft.
2) Add spices and grated ginger to make a paste, cook for 1 further minute.
3) Add coconut milk, peanut butter and pineapple. Stir.
4) While the curry is living its best life, cook the cauliflower. Cut into florets and microwave for 3/4 minutes or boil in a pan of water on the hob, until soft.
5) When cooked, add the cauliflower to the main pan. Simmer for a further 10 minutes on lower heat.
6) Season to taste and serve with rice, or spicy new potatoes (as pictured), and your fav green for that hit of vitamins.
Top-tip: If the sauce is looking too thicc, add a splash of water (or coconut water if you're feeling nuts).
Level-it up with a stick of lemongrass for some cheeky culinary points and an extra zesty meal. Just remove the root end, peel a few outer layers, and gently crush. Add in step 4.
It's fair to say our food engineer Lauren knows her stuff when it comes to food. She studies Nutrition and Psychology at Newcastle Uni, has completed various cookery courses + has worked part-time at a cookery school! Expect more unreal recipes from Lauren in the future.