Green Soup the Great
It’s because I’m green isn’t it! Amazing flavour and tasty nourishment, all while looking like one of those weird green smoothies yoga people drink.
Food Engineer: Jed Coiley
*Feeds 4. Soup up in 30 mins. Minimal effort! ~ 75p per portion*
· 300g frozen peas.
· 200g kale.
· 1 leek.
· 2 brown onions.
· 1 clove of garlic.
· Juice of a lemon.
· ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
· 1.5l vegetable stock.
1) Roughly chop your onion, garlic and leek. Pop into a deep pot, on a low heat, with a drizzle of vegetable oil. Let them sizzle away for 5-10 mins until onion is translucent.
2) Sprinkle in the cayenne pepper.
3) Prepare your vegetable stock, boil 1.5L of water and mix the stock in well.
4) Add kale and peas to the pot, then add the stock. Let this all bubble away for a good 20 mins on a low heat with the lid on.
5) Blend time! Use an immersion blender, or a drinks blender in batches (careful as its hot hot hot). Make sure it’s nice and smooth, if it’s too thick add some more water.
6) Add the lemon juice. Season with black pepper (you shouldn’t need salt as the stock will normally be salty enough).
Top tip: Soups are great for using leftovers, chuck any greens into this and it’ll taste nice - we’re talking spinach, celery, carrots, chard, cabbage, pie, love…
Level-it up with some crusty bread for dipping divineness. Treat yo' self because you deserve it.